Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The question of orphans

A question that comes up nearly every time I host a group is "How many orphans/orphanages are there in Haiti?" and "what are the orphanages like?".

I always have to pause before I attempt to answer the question, because it is a very complex issue and one that I do not have enough first hand knowledge or experience to make an intelligent response.

What I do know is that the number of true orphans (children with no living parent) is very low in Haiti as compared to the number of children living in institutions or with other families.

Below are a couple of links to blogs written by the Livesay family in Port au Prince, Haiti who can more eloquently discuss some of the complicated issues.


alleviate

A boat that needs rocking

Linking you


No comments: