Saturday, November 26, 2011

On the bright side

Since my last post wasn't exactly positive, I've been trying to think about what is positive in my life right now. The answer - I'm losing weight!

Now, that may sound ridiculous considering the country I live in being that most people don't have enough to eat each day and anytime you do gain weight you are greeted with cheers and "ou gwo!" (you're big!). But the truth is, I've been gaining weight steadily since the all inclusive, all-you-can eat buffet at our honeymoon resort! It was just too good to pass up - variety, three times a day! I didn't even try to stop myself. Dessert? Yes please! I was sure once I got home I would slowly drop the extra weight and get back to normal - wrong!


It was probably a number of things - adjusting to married life, adjusting to cooking for the two of us, the stress of waiting for Cal's visa, and it being too hot to even think about exercising. And then, we went to Canada for 5 weeks - pretty much the all you can eat buffet all over again! Not good. By the end of the trip, I could barely button up my favourite pair of jeans. But then I told myself, it's just "Canada weight". I'll sweat it all off back in Haiti. Guess what - that didn't happen.

After weeks of complaining to Cal, I finally bit the bullet and started exercising. It's cooled down enough now so that by 4 or so in the afternoon it is bearable to climb the mountain behind our house. Sometimes there is even cloud cover and the sun goes behind the mountain - bonus! I've been doing it 4 or 5 times a week for the past three weeks and this week I finally noticed a difference!

We've also tried to adjust our diet - less rice, more veggies! I think Cal is even dropping a few pounds! Just waiting for the day when I can put on my favourite jeans again...

1 comment:

Tammi Biggs said...

Yay! Good job, Janelle! That makes me laugh after all of the conversations we have had about it. Keep up the good work! :)