Wednesday, December 29, 2010

M'la (I'm there/here)

When someone in Haiti says "m pa we ou" (I don't see you) - meaning they haven't seen you in a long time, the common response is to say "m'la" (I'm here/there). It means that you haven't been hiding, or away, you've been around. So, if you wonder where I've been the past couple of weeks - M'la!

Life has calmed down a bit here - it's still not normal! We still have 8 - 10 MSF workers sleeping and eating in our house on a given day, but I see them a lot less now because I got a new room! Manno graciously gave me his room downstairs (complete with an ensuite) so that I could have a bit more privacy (and a lot more sanity). He went to the DR last week to see his family. I'm not sure where he'll be sleeping when he gets back, but I'm not too worried. I've moved in and made the room mine and feel right at home!

Christmas was pretty quiet around here - just the way I like it. I have to say, I don't miss the consumerism of a North American Christmas one bit. Christmas here is not stressful in any way. I did come down with a cold a couple days before, so I did end up spending most of my time curled up under my covers in my bed, but the forced rest and relaxation was wonderful. Since the internet was down for a few days after Christmas, I got an extended vacation too - I'm not complaining one bit!

I trust you all had a joyous Christmas and I wish you God's blessings for the New Year! Everyone here is looking forward to the new year with anticipation. We all see 2010 as a year with "anpil pwoblems" (a lot of problems) and believe that 2011 will be better. I pray it is.

1 comment:

lschuerman said...

Congratulations on your engagement. I was very touched at your blog and the difficulty that has touched Haiti in recent months. Please give my best to Calvin and Dr. Manno.

Blessings,
Lori Schuerman